Why is a split sheet important?
- It makes sure everyone gets credit for their contribution
- It legally establishes ownership
- It explains the income percentages of parties involved
- Its a legal contract of agreement once signed
Split sheets are a must when writing and producing music. A split sheet explains who contributed what and how much each party will be paid if the song produces income.
Split sheets should have the following information:
- Name of the song
- Legal name of everyone involved who contributed to the song
- Their role in the song (producer, songwriter)
- Percentage share of their contribution
- Their performing rights affiliate – AS BOTH A SONGWRITER AND PUBLISHER
- If they are not their own publisher than the publishing company that represents them
- Address or email in order to be able to contact them
- Signature of each creator